Sunday, February 27, 2011

Evangelism

Hey Everyone!

If you've already read the post below mine, then you're good to read this one! If not, read that first then mine! :)

Jane Eyre is a novel that is loaded with Evangelism, from Brocklehurst to St. John. One aspect of this is the obvious religious Evangelism, which emitted by both Brocklehurst and St. John, preaching to those the word of God. However what I want to focus on is Charlotte Bronte's less obvious form of Evangelism. In the beginning of the novel, Jane struggles with whether or not she believes in God, and hell and heaven, or if she even likes what the bible tells her. But as the story progresses we as readers see her offer her thanks up to God numerous times. One has to wonder what had changed. If Brocklehurst curriculum had influenced her, or if she herself decided she is a believer. On page 447 in the text Jane narrates, "I was sure St. John Rivers -- pure-lived, conscientious, zealous as he was -- had not yet found that peace of God which passeth all understanding: he no more found it, I thought, than had I; with my concealed and racking regrets for my broken idol and lost elysium -- regrets to which I have latterly avoided referring; but which possessed me and tyrannized over me ruthlessly." This exert indicates that at this point Jane still is not sure of her feelings toward God, that she doesn't fully understand him yet. This is interesting to note because Christians do not necessarily understand what God does, or why he does it, but they respect his power, something it seems Jane does not understand.

In addition to the above which were my own thoughts of Evangelism in the novel I found this website which focus on this topic as well. If you'd like to research this more, click below! :)


Also, this youtube clip from the movie Jane Eyre, shows the scene when Jane first meets Brocklehurst and his extreme evangelistic perspective.


Thanks everyone!

Paige

No comments: